Short grey days and long cold nights are back, but this doesn’t have to darken your disposition. These five tips are guaranteed to boost your energy and happiness levels!
1. Get out in the sunshine – even if it’s barely visible through cloudy skies! A brisk 10 minute walk will reward you with a quick burst of energy lasting up to two hours. Warm up with some yoga backbends to stimulate your metabolism. Simply stand tall, resting hands on your low back, and lean back as far as feels good to you. Follow this with a forward fold, reaching toward toes. Ahhhh! Do this daily and within a few weeks you’ll notice your overall energy and happiness have increased. For more benefit, use this time to repeat some positive affirmations, like:
2. After that walk carbs may be calling you, but while sugary treats give you a burst of energy, they also quickly lead to a sugar crash. Instead, choose a healthy snack with protein and a big glass of water to keep your energy up. Not getting enough water can make you feel tired and hungry. Pee should be the colour of apple juice. Lighter means you’re drinking too much water, darker means you aren’t getting enough.
3. Colour your world! Surrounding yourself with uplifting vivacious yellow or vibrant orange colours will stimulate and energize you! Dress in these colours, add them to your décor with throw pillows or cozy blankets, fill a bowl with fresh lemons or oranges, even dab their essential oils on your wrist for an uplifting effect.
4. Eliminate stress wherever possible. Practice the fine art of saying no to prevent feeling overwhelmed. Boost your happiness by living in the moment, rather than mentally projecting yourself into the future, which produces anxiety. People who regularly engage in spiritual practices are twice as likely to report being happy, so why not try a simple mindfulness meditation – sitting in silence watching your thoughts without being attached to them. It’s like a mini mental vacation!
5. Nothing zaps energy and happiness like grudges. As the song says, “Let it go, let it go.” Forgiveness is a gift for yourself, it has nothing to do with the other person. Even if they don’t ‘deserve’ it, you do! Try nurturing gratitude instead – it’s my favourite method for boosting happiness. A daily list is a great way to start this healthy habit – why not make it a family practice?
6. Smile! This actually tells your brain you’re happy whether you are or not. While you’re at it, practice being happy for no reason at all! Set a timer for five minutes and celebrate as if you’ve heard the best news ever – fist bump the air, let out a woo-hoo! Not only does this feel good in the moment, you’re setting all those fabulous feelings and thoughts out, and what comes back to you in real life will feel equally good! And remember, spring is coming!
Originally Published: December 7, 2017
Alexandria Barker, Contributor
+ Read Bio
Alexandria Barker is a certified life coach and Soul Re-alignment practitioner, providing healing at the deepest level for lasting transformation. She is also an Infinite Possibilities Coach specializing in freeing you of limiting beliefs, enabling you to live the life of your dreams.